This is an era of technology that has led to the development of many electronic devices. It has led to a wide range of electronic multimedia devices in the market. There are many devices in which PCBs are used. PCB means Printed Circuit Boards. These are very vital parts of electronic devices, and they are used in multimedia speakers, power banks, tape-recorders, etc. There are many other small electronic accessories in which they are used, such as PCB for audio system. However, many people are not even aware of the term itself. So, if you are one of those people who has no idea about what PCB is, then you are probably in the right place. In this article, we will be discussing what PCBs are and some other information about them, which can help you in enhancing your understanding of the PCBs. So, without any further delay, let’s get started.
What are Printed Circuit Boards?
Printed Circuit Boards are circuit boards which are usually laminated with the copper and non-conductive. In a PCB, all the electronic components are usually connected to each in one common board. Before, when PCBs were not developed, all the electronic components in an electronic device used to connect to each other with wire. But in that case, the reliability of the circuit itself decreases and wires also increase the complexity of the circuit. It also restricted the manufacturer from creating a large circuit like the motherboard. However, in the case of PCB, it is not difficult to manufacture large circuits because all the electronic components, as said earlier, are connected on a common circuit board with the help of an internal connection, which reduces the complexity of the circuit.
PCBs are highly customization as these can be made according to the requirements of the customers or the PCB assembling firms. Moreover, the functionality of the PCB can also be altered according to the type of the electronic or multimedia device as in the case of the audio system PCB. These are also used for the machines which are used in automotive industries, medical devices, industrial machinery, etc.
Types of the PCBs
Following are the main types of PCBs which are used in the electronics industry: –
- Single-layer PCB: This is also known as single-sided PCB, and these are usually coated with a layer of any of the conducting material. The conducting material which is generally used is copper.
- Double-layer PCB: It is also known as double-sided PCB, and a thin layer of the copper is usually applied to both sides of the circuit board.
- Multi-layer PCB: These are the printed circuit boards that have more than two layers of the copper coating. These types of PCBs are very complex to design.
- Flexible PCB: These are also known as Flex circuits because these PCBs use the flexible plastic material like PEEK or Polyimide.
- Rigid PCBs: These are the PCBs that are made from the solid materials, which do not allow the PCB to be twisted like the Flexible PCB. This is the reason why these PCBs cannot be bent according to the shape of the base.
- Flex-rigid PCB: Combination of the flex circuits and the rigid circuit are known as Flex-rigid PCBs. It involves multiple layers of the flexible PCB, which are attached to various rigid PCB layers.